Hello and welcome to The Compost Bin. I'm Compostwoman and I live with my family in rural Herefordshire. We have nearly four acres of garden and woodland, all managed organically, which we share with Chickens, Cats, Guinea Pigs and assorted wildlife. We also grow a lot of our own food, run courses in all sorts of things and make a lot of compost!

I am a Master Composter and have spent the last many many years as a volunteer Community Compost adviser with Garden Organic and my local Council.
I offer talks and run workshops and events where we talk about compost, veg growing, chicken keeping, cooking, preserving and sustainable living. We also make crafts and have fun. We try to live a more self sufficient lifestyle here, as best we can, while still having a comfortable life and lots of fun.
To learn more about us click on the About Compostwoman tab and remember to click on the photos to make them full size!


Sunday, 12 May 2019

New polytunnel!

Finally! After much hard work (mostly by Compostman) and a huge amount of sorting out and clearing out all the contents of the polytunnel, taking off the old cover, digging out the sides, waiting for a calm day to put the new cover on (just Compostman and I, and it was hard work!)

New geotextile floor, new stable door and window system at far end.

It's finished!

Now to put all my stuff back in (!) and fill it with the plants waiting in the Gabriel Ash coldframe (see here  A tidy garden and a full cold frame)



and I'm slowly putting back pots, bags of growing medium, and getting the buckets and trays ready to put out the tomatoes. But that is for tomorrow.

Tuesday, 7 May 2019

In memory of  Algy @algyseramachicken I loved him very much. He is much missed, several years now since his passing. Such a lovely companion at workshops and festivals such as @greengathering_ @springgreensdeli @green_gathering_permaculture

His son, Jimmy, was just as daft!



Thursday, 2 May 2019

Taking the plunge and covering the polytunnel

 Old cover off.


 Trench being dug to get old buried cover out and to put new cover in


Worried about the wind. This is a huge piece of polythene, so we needed it to be dead calm.


We waited three hours until there was a lull in the breeze, and then we went for it!


Cover on, corners and sides weighted down with soil in trench, we then started the pleating around the door frame at each end. This is hard work as the cover needs to be pulled as taut as possible


By the end of the day we had the cover secured, the battens fixed in place to hold the ends down and the soil backfilled in the trench enough to keep everything secure

A lot of work for just the two of us, but very satisfying

:)
UA-40361266-1